Happiness is a journey, not a destination.-Alfred D. Souza
I think happiness is an interesting concept, because it’s both free and priceless, two words that aren’t normally used the same sentence.
Free is what we use to describe something we automatically devalue, like Olive Garden breadsticks or Costco samples.
Priceless is what we use to describe something we value and aspire to have because even money cannot bring it into our lives. An example of what we define priceless are the Crown Jewels of the United Kingdom.
So, this leads us back to the original point, which is why is happiness both free and priceless?
Happiness is free because it’s a mindset and a way of life, which is why we see people in the poorest parts of India and Africa, splitting the portion of an American size appetizer between a family of 5 but happy as can be.
Happiness is priceless because even money cannot make it yours. We see Billionaires and movie stars suffer from severe depression and commit suicide when on the surface, it seems like they have it all.
We commonly hear, “I don’t get it. It seems like they have/had everything.”
Yeah, except happiness, because no amount of money can buy it.
It’s a shame though, because the ultimate goal, whether we consciously know it or not, is to be happy. Many people work so hard to chase fame, status and wealth thinking that will bring them happiness when in reality, happiness is their nose, so close to them they can’t see it.
Here are five free happiness practices:
*Disclaimer, I am doing these as I write.
- Laugh more. It triggers the release of endorphins and makes us feel good. So the next time you’re stressed, watch your favorite stand-up comedian (Bill Burr FTW)
- Be goofy. When we can dance like nobody’s watching, we stop caring what others think and just focus on living in the moment
- Practice gratitude. Tell yourself three things you’re grateful for that day (Almond butter, whipped cream and nail polish)
- Open the curtains for natural sunlight and windows for fresh air
- Put together a ‘celebration’ playlist for your morning routine (On top of the world- Imagine Dragon, All Star- Smash Mouth, Good to be Alive- Andy Grammer)
I love a good bargain as much as the next person, so I don’t know about you but I’m definitely taking advantage of this good deal! Why pay so much for a priceless object when you can get it for free?